What Should I Do If I Am Being Sexually Harassed At Work?

It is unlawful for your boss or colleagues to sexually harass you at work. If you are being sexually harassed at work, you should speak with an attorney to understand your rights and options before you take any action. 

An experienced sexual harassment attorney can work with you to develop a strategy to stop the sexual harassment. This may include: 

1. Document The Sexual Harassment

There are different ways to potentially document sexual harassment. Did your sexual harasser send you lewd messages, “love letters,” images? Are there emails, requests for sexual favors, or documents with sexual innuendo? An experienced employment law attorney can help you determine the best way to document the sexual harassment and gather evidence.  

You should speak with an attorney first if you are thinking about recording a conversation related to your sexual harassment. Depending on your state, and the circumstances, it may be unlawful to record another individual without their consent.    

2. Consider Filing An Internal Complaint

It may be appropriate to file an internal complaint with your employer’s human resources department or leadership team. The contents of your internal complaint are extremely important and could impact your company’s response and resolution. Before you file an internal complaint with your employer, speak with an experienced employment law attorney. 

3. Consider Taking Legal Action

In Massachusetts, generally, there is a very short 300-day statute of limitation to file a complaint with the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination. An experienced attorney can develop a strategy with you based on your circumstances and objectives. This may involve trying to negotiate a settlement, commencing a lawsuit, or taking other action. 

Contact the Maura Greene Law Group if you need help ending sexual harassment at your workplace.

Contact us at 617-936-1580 or email us at mglgstaff@mauragreenelaw.com 

The Not-So-Fine Print:

Every case has its own unique facts. Before you take any action, you should contact an employment lawyer and get advice on your own situation. We can’t provide legal advice here and this isn’t intended as legal advice. It is best, if possible, to establish a relationship with an attorney before a workplace issue turns into a crisis.